[VOTE] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

[VOTE] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

Ingo Bürk
Hello everyone,

we would like to pick up work on FLIP-129 which aims to improve the Table
API by supporting the creation of sources / sinks without having to go
through SQL/DDL. This FLIP was approved a while ago, and some things have
changed since then. We'd like to propose a few changes, see [1], before
starting work on it.
Our proposal is mainly motivated by reducing the scope in some parts to
improve maintainability and relying more on ConfigOptions being the single
source of truth. We also want to expose this functionality for
non-temporary tables.

If anyone has further input please let us know and discuss. Otherwise we
wouldn't mind collecting a couple +1s. :-)

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpirvF0u723QF005UrgdbvF-Tp0Jbg_qhlbda4mk7Ck/edit?usp=sharing

Regards
Ingo

Re: [VOTE] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

Timo Walther-2
Hi Ingo,

thanks for giving FLIP-129 an update before finally implementing it. I
wouldn't start with a voting thread right away but collect more feedback
from the community in a [DISCUSS] thread before.

Also, voting threads should be performed on the updated wiki page and
include the voting deadline.

Regards,
Timo

On 10.06.21 12:02, Ingo Bürk wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> we would like to pick up work on FLIP-129 which aims to improve the Table
> API by supporting the creation of sources / sinks without having to go
> through SQL/DDL. This FLIP was approved a while ago, and some things have
> changed since then. We'd like to propose a few changes, see [1], before
> starting work on it.
> Our proposal is mainly motivated by reducing the scope in some parts to
> improve maintainability and relying more on ConfigOptions being the single
> source of truth. We also want to expose this functionality for
> non-temporary tables.
>
> If anyone has further input please let us know and discuss. Otherwise we
> wouldn't mind collecting a couple +1s. :-)
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpirvF0u723QF005UrgdbvF-Tp0Jbg_qhlbda4mk7Ck/edit?usp=sharing
>

> Regards
> Ingo

Re: [VOTE] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

Ingo Bürk
Hi,

fair enough, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll start a new DISCUSS
thread. Thanks for showing me the way!

Regards
Ingo