Re: Infrastructure setup

Robert Metzger
Regarding the wiki: In the past, we had access to the GitHub Wiki and it
was not really used (except for GSoC).

There is only one valid use-case I see for the wiki: We could consider
hosting the documentation in the a and generate the documentation on the
website from the wiki.
This way, we would make it super easy for users to contribute to our
website, and it would also be much easier to maintain the documentation for
developers.
Ideally, the Wiki would also use Markdown to make the import as simple as
possible.
It seems that INFRA is offering Confluence and Moinmoin as Wiki systems.
Both system really don't look (and feel) appealing to me.
There is also a lengthy discussion at Apache CouchDB about exactly the same
issue:
http://couchdb-development.1959287.n2.nabble.com/CouchDB-Wiki-Documentation-td4682935.html

Their discussion did not really come to an conclusion, but they are
currently hosting the documentation (outside ASF's infra?) here:
http://docs.couchdb.org/
The source for the documentation is located in the main source repository
of their project.
So contributors and users have to open pull requests / patches to
contribute to the documentation.

What do the others think?

Regarding Alan's other question: " Also, has someone added permissions for
flink committers to commit to flink’s SVN?"
I think our git repository is properly set up, since I'm able to push into
it.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Apache CMS is pretty easy for posting design proposals as well.
>  Supports mark-down.  Easy to write.  Easy to update.
>
> JIRA attachments work pretty well, also.
>
> But confluence was a complete mess for Mahout.
>

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Henry Saputra <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > The main use of wiki I could think of that we may miss is to post
> > proposals or design discussions.
> > But we could use dev@ list and JIRA combo to do this.
> >
> > - Henry
> >
> > On Tuesday, June 10, 2014, Sebastian Schelter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In Mahout, we made very bad experiences with the wiki. Its superslow,
> > hard
> > > to overlook and people often abuse it to ask questions. I would suggest
> > > concentrate on the website and have users contribute content to the
> > website
> > > instead.
> > >
> > > --sebastian

> my
> > stuff
> > setup
> have
> have

Re: Infrastructure setup

Fabian Hueske
I used the wiki at Github a few times for design proposals and sketches as
Ted said and found it quite convenient.
So I would be +1 for having a wiki. We can still decide how we want to use
it, right?

Fabian

> Regarding the wiki: In the past, we had access to the GitHub Wiki and it
> was not really used (except for GSoC).
>
> There is only one valid use-case I see for the wiki: We could consider
> hosting the documentation in the a and generate the documentation on the
> website from the wiki.
> This way, we would make it super easy for users to contribute to our
> website, and it would also be much easier to maintain the documentation for
> developers.
> Ideally, the Wiki would also use Markdown to make the import as simple as
> possible.
> It seems that INFRA is offering Confluence and Moinmoin as Wiki systems.
> Both system really don't look (and feel) appealing to me.
> There is also a lengthy discussion at Apache CouchDB about exactly the same
> issue:
>
> http://couchdb-development.1959287.n2.nabble.com/CouchDB-Wiki-Documentation-td4682935.html
>
> Their discussion did not really come to an conclusion, but they are
> currently hosting the documentation (outside ASF's infra?) here:
> http://docs.couchdb.org/
> The source for the documentation is located in the main source repository
> of their project.
> So contributors and users have to open pull requests / patches to
> contribute to the documentation.
>
> What do the others think?
>

> Regarding Alan's other question: " Also, has someone added permissions for
> flink committers to commit to flink’s SVN?"
> I think our git repository is properly set up, since I'm able to push into
> it.
>

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > The Apache CMS is pretty easy for posting design proposals as well.
> >  Supports mark-down.  Easy to write.  Easy to update.
> >
> > JIRA attachments work pretty well, also.
> >
> > But confluence was a complete mess for Mahout.
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Henry Saputra <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The main use of wiki I could think of that we may miss is to post
> > > proposals or design discussions.
> > > But we could use dev@ list and JIRA combo to do this.
> > >
> > > - Henry

> > > hard
> suggest
> > > website

> last
> > my
> getting
> > > stuff
> > > setup
> > have
> > have

Re: Infrastructure setup

Henry Saputra
Yep, we can ask for it and if we think it is not useful just asked to be
removed b4 graduation. :)