[DISCUSS] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

[DISCUSS] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

Ingo Bürk
Hello everyone,

we would like to pick up work on FLIP-129 which aims to improve the Table
API by supporting the creation of sources / sinks without having to go
through SQL/DDL. This FLIP was approved a while ago, and some things have
changed since then. We'd like to propose a few changes, see [1], before
starting work on it.
Our proposal is mainly motivated by reducing the scope in some parts to
improve maintainability and relying more on ConfigOptions being the single
source of truth. We also want to expose this functionality for
non-temporary tables.

We'd like to open this for discussion to collect any feedback. Once the
discussion has stabilized I'll update the FLIP itself and start a new vote.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpirvF0u723QF005UrgdbvF-Tp0Jbg_qhlbda4mk7Ck/edit?usp=sharing

Regards
Ingo

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

Jark Wu-2
Thanks Ingo for picking up this FLIP.

FLIP-129 is an important piece to have a complete Table SQL story,
and users have been waiting for a long time. Let's finish it in this
release!
Your proposed changes look good to me.

I also cc'd people who voted in previous FLIP-129.

Best,
Jark

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 19:46, Ingo Bürk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> we would like to pick up work on FLIP-129 which aims to improve the Table
> API by supporting the creation of sources / sinks without having to go
> through SQL/DDL. This FLIP was approved a while ago, and some things have
> changed since then. We'd like to propose a few changes, see [1], before
> starting work on it.
> Our proposal is mainly motivated by reducing the scope in some parts to
> improve maintainability and relying more on ConfigOptions being the single
> source of truth. We also want to expose this functionality for
> non-temporary tables.
>
> We'd like to open this for discussion to collect any feedback. Once the
> discussion has stabilized I'll update the FLIP itself and start a new vote.
>
> [1]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpirvF0u723QF005UrgdbvF-Tp0Jbg_qhlbda4mk7Ck/edit?usp=sharing
>

> Regards
> Ingo

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

JING ZHANG
Thanks Ingo for starting this discussion.

Big +1 for this feature. Looking forward to the feature.

Best regards,
JING ZHANG

Jark Wu <[hidden email]> 于2021年6月15日周二 下午3:48写道:

> Thanks Ingo for picking up this FLIP.
>
> FLIP-129 is an important piece to have a complete Table SQL story,
> and users have been waiting for a long time. Let's finish it in this
> release!
> Your proposed changes look good to me.
>
> I also cc'd people who voted in previous FLIP-129.
>
> Best,
> Jark
>
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 19:46, Ingo Bürk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > we would like to pick up work on FLIP-129 which aims to improve the Table
> > API by supporting the creation of sources / sinks without having to go
> > through SQL/DDL. This FLIP was approved a while ago, and some things have
> > changed since then. We'd like to propose a few changes, see [1], before
> > starting work on it.
> > Our proposal is mainly motivated by reducing the scope in some parts to
> > improve maintainability and relying more on ConfigOptions being the
> single
> > source of truth. We also want to expose this functionality for
> > non-temporary tables.
> >
> > We'd like to open this for discussion to collect any feedback. Once the
> > discussion has stabilized I'll update the FLIP itself and start a new
> vote.
> >
> > [1]
> >

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpirvF0u723QF005UrgdbvF-Tp0Jbg_qhlbda4mk7Ck/edit?usp=sharing
> >

> > Regards
> > Ingo

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-129 (Update): Registering sources/sinks on Table API without SQL

Ingo Bürk
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Since there haven't been any
questions/discussions, I'll be moving this to a vote thread next week.

Regards
Ingo