Cannot see optimizer plan in RunJob

Sendoh
Hello,

Not sure can ask this kind of question like the starter comparing other topics here.
If it's not the case I apologize in advance.

I ran the KMeans examples in QucikStart and all of them go well with 0.5.1 version.
(http://stratosphere.eu/quickstart/example.html#result)

Except the "RunJob" which I cannot see the optimizer plan, like the picture below. It's blank.
http://stratosphere.eu/quickstart/example.html#result

But the running job actually finished without any problem as the following diagram

Even the result-plot was OK.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6sy3fbazw6ysl5/result-plot.pdf

It's confusing perhaps because I'm a starter.
Could someone tell me which part should I start to debug for this ?

Thanks for your reading.

Re: Cannot see optimizer plan in RunJob

Robert Metzger
Hi,

Your question is very welcome on our list. Keep asking if you have further
questions!

The blank page after the "RunJob" step is not your fault. Its a known bug
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/15#issuecomment-46041318>
of the 0.5.1 release. The issue has already been fixed in our development
branch and the 0.5.2 release will contain a fix for the issue.
The bug does not affect the system itself. Only the component that creates
a JSON-document from our optimizer output was generating an invalid JSON
document.

Please get in touch if you have more questions.

Best,
Robert

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM, hung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Not sure can ask this kind of question like the starter comparing other
> topics here.
> If it's not the case I apologize in advance.
>
> I ran the KMeans examples in QucikStart and all of them go well with 0.5.1
> version.
> (http://stratosphere.eu/quickstart/example.html#result)
>
> Except the "RunJob" which I cannot see the optimizer plan, like the picture
> below. It's blank.
> http://stratosphere.eu/quickstart/example.html#result
> <
> http://apache-flink-incubator-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/file/n524/Screenshot_from_2014-06-18_12%5E%2559%5E%2537.png
> >

> But the running job actually finished without any problem as the following
> diagram
> <
> http://apache-flink-incubator-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/file/n524/Screenshot_from_2014-06-18_13%5E%2507%5E%2543.png
> >

> Even the result-plot was OK.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6sy3fbazw6ysl5/result-plot.pdf
>
> It's confusing perhaps because I'm a starter.
> Could someone tell me which part should I start to debug for this ?
>
> Thanks for your reading.

> archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Cannot see optimizer plan in RunJob

Stephan Ewen
Actually, the JSON was valid (except one corner case, but I think that was
not the program with that case). The java script library that drew the
diagram from the JSON could not handle "closures" of iterations, as used in
that example.

The current master branch should work thought, with the new library.

Re: Cannot see optimizer plan in RunJob

Robert Metzger
KMeans triggered the corner case (invalid JSON). I extended the test case
that validates the JSON output here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/commit/5484d58e56a7fdb5ff7a9e9edff8ef73e27e7c71
and it failed with a parse exception before the fix.

@hung: Stephan is right. If you want to build Flink yourself, you can just
checkout the master, do a "mvn clean package -DskipTests" and the
plan-preview should work.